"I definitely know what you are thinking..."
When I used to hear the term "Out of the box" and many similar terms, I used to immediately dismiss them as management jargon. I still believe that most people who do use these terms are using it just because it has a nice ring to it - not because they truly understand it. The truth is, however, that very few people actually think very differently.
I'll give you a simple example. This is a trick I learnt ages ago, from whom, I remember not. But go ahead and try this on others, and you will find this to be true. Now I am going to perform this trick with you, so play along, ok? Here goes...
- Think of a number between 1 and 9
- Multiply that number by 9
- Add the digits of the two digit number that you got.
- Now that you have a single digit, subtract 5 from it
- If the answer is 1, letter is 'A'. If the answer is 2, letter is 'B'. If the answer is 3, letter is 'C' and so on... So corresponding to your answer, you should get a letter.
- With that letter, think of a country.
- With the last letter of that country, think of an animal.
- With the last letter of that animal, think of a fruit...